Pages

Monday, June 05, 2006

Chemical bomb suspects deny attack plot

By Michael Holden and Katherine Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Two brothers suspected of plotting to make a chemical bomb for an attack in Britain have denied all accusations, their lawyers said on Sunday, as police continued to search their home.

The men, aged 23 and 20, were held during a dawn raid on Friday when more than 250 police officers, stormed their house in east London.

The 23-year-old brother was shot in the shoulder during the raid.

Specific intelligence had suggested the house might have been used to make a toxic bomb for an attack in Britain, police sources said.

"He says there's absolutely not a word of truth in any of it," the wounded brother's lawyer Kate Roxburgh told reporters. "He says the police are not going to find anything because there is nothing to find.

His brother's lawyer, Julian Young, said earlier his client had also denied he was involved in any terrorism plot, adding: "To date I have seen no evidence showing that he has been.

Both men are being questioned at London's top security Paddington Green police station after the wounded brother was moved there from hospital on Sunday.

Police said they were still concentrating their search on the suspects' house in Forest Gate, an ethnically mixed area with a sizable Muslim population. They searched the men's work places on Saturday.

Officers are looking for "some form of viable chemical device" that could kill -- a conventional bomb laced with toxic material, a police source told Reuters.

British firearms police have been under the spotlight since they shot dead an innocent Brazilian man, Jean Charles de Menenezes, in the weeks following last year's suicide attacks.

Young said the case struck him as similar to the Menenezes shooting.

Asan Rehman, a spokesman for a family arrested from a neighbouring house but then freed, told Reuters the two brothers, were Muslims and of Bangladeshi origin.

Excuse me but .......... 250 Police do not search a house with out good reason. This maybe a very 'touchy' place since July last year, but I cannot see that there was no cause for concern.

Bangladeshis are not the worlds richest people, but within hours of the raid their "team of legal advisors" were making claims that they could not possibly of substantiated. I don't understand why they need separate lawyers, unless the is a danger that one will "roll over" on the other.

Of course they would deny any involvement in any terrorist plot, wouldn't they?

And as for Julian Young saying that this is similar to the Menenezes shooting, maybe we should just revisit that case, Menenezes was not necessarily the angel his family would have you believe.

But who’d have guessed that an illegal alien, passport forger, tax-evader and general all-round crook like de Menenezes might also be a sexual predator? Not one of the seventeen-thousand-or-so of his cousins, that’s for sure.


Read the Menenezes link.

Given the information the the police had to hand I think it is a smart move to drop one of the suspects it brings the others under control.

Just because there is no evidence found all that really means is they can't be prosecuted.

There are times when the protection of the democracy is more important than the rights of a few.

They may be innocent. Then we should apologise.

No comments: